If you are a fast-growing online business, then choosing the right hosting determines how well your huge pool of data can be stored and more importantly kept secured. VPS Hosting and Dedicated Hosting are two types of hosting that you, as an established company, can switch to.
But before we plunge into which hosting is best suited for your business and the differences between VPS vs Dedicated Hosting let us first see what each technology is:
Dedicated Hosting is a physical hosting platform where your resources are dedicated solely for your website alone. Dedicated Hosting comes with certain hardware specifications depending on the type of website you have. However, Dedicated Hosting can be configured to suit your website’s business needs.
VPS (Virtual Private Server) Hosting is a combination of two hosting models viz. Dedicated Hosting and Shared Hosting. VPS Hosting can be visualized as one physical server compartmentalized into several smaller servers, each having their own private space.
VPS Hosting vs Dedicated Server Hosting:
- VPS Hosting offers easy scalability of your resources and plans depending on your traffic spike without you needing to change the service provider
- Once your website has evolved and grown significantly in terms of traffic chances are you will outgrow your VPS plans. At this time, Dedicated Hosting caters to your site’s needs.
- VPS Hosting can be used by small or mid-sized companies or companies which may not have very high traffic and capital.
- On the other hand, typically large organisations use Dedicated Hosting as they might have voluminous data, as well as, receive a very large amount of traffic.
- VPS Hosting is relatively economical and cheaper as the physical storage is shared amongst other websites hosted on the same server.
- Dedicated Hosting requires an exclusive physical set up and requires infrastructure cost, dedicated employee cost, etc. Hence, it is relatively more costly.
- VPS Hosting is more secure compared to other shared hosting options that divide their space among multiple clients, as servers in VPS runs in an isolated environment.
- Dedicated Hosting is considered to be the most secure hosting as there is only one client on the server.
Advantages of VPS Hosting
- With VPS Hosting your server is divided into several smaller servers. These individual servers have their own resources, complete root access and SSD storage which boosts your performance tremendously.
- Even though VPS Hosting is expensive compared to Shared Hosting it is perfect for a website that wants features of Dedicated Hosting but on a smaller scale and a cheaper rate. It is the middle ground between Shared and Dedicated Hosting.
- With VPS Hosting even though your server space is divided you get independent resources like CPU, RAM, OS and Disk Space. In fact, with SULSERV VPS Hosting, you get a Web Host Manager (WHM) software that helps you in creating multiple user accounts that can be used for reselling.
Advantages of Dedicated Hosting
- With Dedicated Hosting, you get the entire physical server with complete root access and hence can customize your hosting plans as per your website’s needs. If you are technically sound you can choose to manage the server yourself or can go with the Managed Dedicated Hosting.
- Dedicated Hosting offers powerful server instances for heavy computing needs, improving performance and also, minimizing data loss with the help of RAID ensuring maximum redundancy.
- In Dedicated Hosting, as you are the only client on a server you have complete control of your hosting environment.
The decision of choosing VPS Hosting vs Dedicated Hosting lies solely on what kind of business do you run. If you’re a small to mid-sized firm and expect a heavy inflow of traffic then upgrading to VPS Hosting is the best option. However, if along with heavy traffic your data is sensitive and yours is a large firm then Dedicated Hosting is the best choice. In the end, both the hosting options are good, it all depends on your website’s requirements which is best suited for you.
If you are a growing business and want to know more about which web hosting suits you perfectly, check out the video below.